Varicose And Spider Vein Removal
Varicose And Spider Vein Removal at The Key West Institute for Plastic Surgery
Varicose veins are large, raised, swollen blood vessels that twist and turn. They usually develop in the legs and can be seen through the skin.
Spider veins are smaller, red, purple, and blue vessels that also twist and turn. Spider veins are easily visible through the skin as well. They are also most often seen on the legs and face.
Causes of Varicose Veins and Spider Veins
A number of factors predispose a person to varicose veins and spider veins. These include:
- Occupations that involve a lot of standing, such as nurses, hair stylists, teachers, and factory workers.
- Hormonal influences during pregnancy, puberty, and menopause.
- The use of birth control pills.
- Postmenopausal hormonal replacement.
- A history of blood clots.
- Conditions that cause increased pressure in the abdomen including tumors, constipation, and externally worn garments like girdles.
Other reported causes include trauma or injury to the skin, previous vein surgery, and exposure to ultraviolet rays.